About a week prior to taking the pregnancy test, I started getting pregnancy symptoms. I didn't tell anyone about it other than Kyle, because lets face it, when you are trying to get pregnant your mind tricks you into the " symptoms" every single month and I was tired of getting let down. So at this point, I thought it was all in my head again.
I remember that month I had the WORST ovulating pains. I remember taking a hot bath, hoping that would relieve some pain, but it didn't. So I definitely knew I was ovulating and crossed my fingers that hopefully this was the month we would get pregnant!
A couple weeks went by and Kyle and I were still enjoying the heat during the hot " indian summer." We had just grabbed lunch at Taco Bell and we got in the car to head down to the beach to do some swimming and tanning. The second I got in the car I started feeling super nauseous on and off. I remember telling Kyle, and he just brushed it off. He too, was used to me claiming I was pregnant the past two months, and so we figured it was all in my head yet again.
Anyway, we get to the beach and lay out our towels and get settled to bathe in the hot Okinawan sun. I had no intentions of going in the water after I felt all kinds of weird things brush up against my leg the last weekend we went swimming there. I laid on my tummy and dug through the sand and was pulling out tiny seashells to mail home to my sister. I laid there, thinking and knowing I was pregnant but it would be awhile before I was able to take a test. The heat got to us and we were only able to lay in the sun for about 25 minutes before we felt like we were baking in an oven. We got up and I decided to go for a walk along the waters edge with Kyle. We got about 10 minutes into the walk and I just didn't feel right. I felt all woozy and I figured it was from the heat, so we decided to head home. We got in the car and I chugged the only water bottle I could find, and the water inside was boiling hot. I felt like my insides were shriveling! We cranked up the air conditioning in the car as sweat poured down our faces. I sat there quiet, looking out the window as we drove home. I just knew something wasn't right. I just didn't feel like my normal self..
One day a couple weeks later I had woken up extremely early and had no idea why. I sprung out of bed, wide eyed and bushy tailed ready to start the day at 0530. I got up, had breakfast with Kyle, and wished him a good day at work. I sat here on the couch watching my morning tv shows when I decided to pull up menstrual calendars online to see when I would ovulate the next month. The first calendar I had pulled up said that my period should have arrived 2 days ago. I thought, " No way..I must have entered something in wrong..." So I tried another website and got the same results. I downloaded a fertility application on my iPhone, and it too, said I should have gotten my period by now. At this point I was so confused. I wasn't expecting my period for another 4 days, or so I thought. I called my sister, DeNae, when she was at work and explained the situation. Apparently my entire life I have been calculating my periods wrong. I always thought you counted 28 days from the last day of your last period to find out when you were do again. Beep! Wrong-o!
DeNae explained to me that I have been doing it wrong, and I am indeed, 2 days late! ( You count 28 days from the FIRST day of your last period, duh Ashley!) Boy did I feel like an idiot. She got all frazzled on the phone and told me to get off the phone with her, and run to the BX to pick up a pregnancy test. It was about 0820 at this point. I threw on some clothes and a little bit of makeup and headed to the BX while Kyle was at work. I get there to find out that they don't open until 0900 so I sat in my car alone, twiddling my thumbs, anxious as heck to get that pregnancy test and head home.
Finally I see the BX doors open, and I hustle in there to pick up a test. I stood there in the isle for a good 10 minutes trying to find out what the heck brand to get. Digital or non digital? The one on sale or regular price? I decided to grab the EPT box since it was buy one get one free, and to the register I went..after I stopped and grabbed a couple magazines of course.
I run home and went straight to the bathroom and seasoned the little stick. I sat there on the bathroom floor waiting to see what the results were, refusing to look at the stick until the 5 minutes of waiting had been up. Meanwhile my phone starts ringing, and I know it's DeNae wanting to hear the results. I ignored the phone this time, for I needed a few moments of silence to myself. As I knew it, our lives were about to change...

No comments:
Post a Comment