So, today was the first time I had to get a Fetal Non-Stress Test. This was a NON stress test, so they just monitor him. There is a normal stress test as well. With a normal stress test, they give you pitocin to make you contract, and they watch how the baby responds, and whether or not he/she is stressed out. This picture on the right is not me, but it is exactly what I looked like. After last weeks appointment, the doctor decided that she wanted me to get a non-stress test done weekly just to make sure Liam is growing and moving around in there. This is all just one huge precaution, and there isn't anything to worry about. They are just being cautious because of the protein in my urine, which usually is a sign of pre-eclampsia. They basically are just making sure Liam isn't stressed out.
Anyway, I sat down in this super comfy reclining chair and they did a quick ultrasound on me. They were just checking the amniotic fluid level and that his heart was pumping well. She tried to get me a cute side profile of his face, but guess what? There was a hand in the way STILL! haha I guess we have one shy little bug.
After the ultrasound was finished, the nurse strapped one blue and one pink band on my belly. The blue band measured his heart rate and movement, and the pink band measured any contractions I could potentially have.
His average heart rate is 150 bmp. Ideally, when the baby moves, they want to see the heart rate jump up 10 more bpm. So they were tracking me to see if his heart rate would jump up over 160 with movement. I laid there for about 40 minutes because our little guy was asleep, and wasn't doing much moving. I chugged some cold water, and moved from side to side which stirred him up enough. The nurse got what she wanted and said all was well. She then took my blood pressure and heart rate which were FINALLY super low. My bp was 118/60-something, and my heart rate was 82 I believe. Usually my bp is high, like 130s, and my pulse is always 115-120. I was so relaxed in that big chair, now only if they could take my vitals in there each week! There would be a lot less commotion between the doctors freaking out over my "high" blood pressure. Stupid" white coat syndrome..."
After the NST, we headed back to talk to the midwife. Kyle was asking questions about the c-section rate, and how many natural births they do on average. He is always full of the good questions. All mine were answered as well. The constant pain I have been having at the top of my right rib cage is indeed Liam's butt putting constant pressure on it. She said it is probably bruised inside, and that the only cure for it is to wait 6 weeks until he is born. She said the lower abdominal discomfort I've been having is in fact a contraction, and it's just my body getting ready. My fundal measurement is right on track too, uterus is measuring 33 cm.
The midwife allowed me to feel more comfortable about some things too. She said they try their hardest to follow birth plans, unless it is medically impossible for them to. ie if the mom or baby are in danger. Also, she said they want the moms to walk the halls, and the worst place to be during labor is in bed. In a perfect world, I would not be in that bed at all except to push. Also, she said she doesn't want me to come in until my contractions are closer together. Some Moms head straight to the hospital right after their first contraction and end up being sent home anyway. She said they won't check to see if you are dilating unless you tell them you are having a ton of contractions, or that you are 39 weeks and nothing has happened yet..so whichever comes first. I was relieved to hear that too. I have heard stories of moms who go in around 36 weeks, and all a sudden the doc decides to strip their membranes and send them into labor.
So my next appointment is at 36 weeks. I will be getting my Group B strep test ( where you swab your giney with a q-tip and they test to see if you have high levels of the group B bacteria) If your levels are high, it just lets them know that you need antibiotics in your IV bag when you are in labor because the bacteria can be deadly for babies born vaginally. After my 36 week appointment, I will be going weekly until I go into labor! So crazy!
I am on deck now, and time is running out fast! This baby will be here before I know it!

No comments:
Post a Comment