Wednesday, April 21, 2010

35 Week Midwife Update

Ahh almost to week 36, boy you showed up fast!

So today Kyle and I attended my 36 week doctor check up. I will be 36 weeks on Friday. I have no idea where the time has gone. It seems like yesterday I was only 27 weeks. I am almost not wanting to blink my eyes anymore, seems every time I do, a whole week passes by!

The appointment started out with another non-stress test. My blood pressure was beautifully low. It was 112/68. Hopefully they will stop freaking out about my "high bp" now. Weight gain to date is 24 lbs, and pulse was 80's-ish.

Liam is doing well, and is under no stress. The nurse kept saying how big he was. The poor little guy is literally taking up every ounce of room I have in my uterus. Every limb on him is pressed up hard against the uterine wall, and his back is flat against my belly. He truly has no room what so ever. My amniotic fluid levels were reading low again. Not dangerously low, but low. I told the nurse that I must have a hole or something. I am drinking 2 gallons of water a day, and my fluid levels aren't increasing. I know I am not leaking fluid, so we're stumped. My levels have been between 7-8cm, and they will admit me for induction if it goes below a 5. Nobody seemed to be concerned however. They just said to continue doing what I am doing. It's funny because I keep getting told by the doctors that he is a big baby ( in the 88th percentile now) but yet my belly still looks small. Thank you Mom for giving me the nice tall height genes! Because I have a longer torso, I don't look as pregnant as I am.

After my NST, we headed back to meet with the midwife. Now, mind you, I have a very overly cautious midwife. She is one who definitely crosses her T's, and dots her I's. She is always wanting to be on the safe side of things.

We sat down with her, and right away she's talking about the protein in my urine from over a month ago, and my meeting with the specialist about Liam's growth. She then tells me she wants me to do ANOTHER 24-hr urine collection. Also, she wants me to go get a growth scan on Liam to make sure he is not delayed in development. This was after she was cracking jokes on how he is in the 88th percentile. So obviously, he is not delayed. Anyway, I felt myself burning up out of anger and irritation. I started sweating and biting my tongue and the room suddenly felt like it was 120 degrees in there. I was so frustrated at this point. We have tested my kidneys. We have done an ultrasound on Liam, only to discover he is measuring bigger, not smaller. We have collected so much of my urine. We are doing Non stress tests. I don't know what in the world this woman is looking for! Every test I have gotten, the results came back clear. So, I grabbed a hold of my crazy hormones, and told her ok. Kyle sensed I was irritated, so he started asking questions as to why we have to do this all over again, and she said with people with protein in their urine, they like to test them every month. I am becoming a pro at peeing in a jug. I can't help but be frustrated though, I just feel it's unnecessary. I guess I should be thankful she would rather be cautious and safe over everything than careless. I tried to convince her to check my cervix for dilation or effacement, but she said it's not necessary. I am not even full term yet, and she doesn't like to check preggos before week 39 because it introduces bacteria into the giney. If I was dilated even to a 1cm, that bacteria can get through my cervix and into my uterus. I was bummed because I am curious and I know something is going on down there, but I understand and am thankful as to why she doesn't want to.

We went over my birth plan together and she said everything I put down is do-able. I want this birth to be as natural and drug free as possible. As long as Liam and I are healthy, I am able to birth how I want. Then she handed me some huge ol' q-tip, and told me I had to go into the bathroom and give myself my group b strep test. I became frustrated again. Stupid hormones.

I get in the bathroom, and I see the directions for the test on the wall. It is telling me all this mumbo jumbo on how I have to separate my lady business, and swab my taint and vag ( sorry you have to read this Unkie Nackers) Well, since I can't see my vag at all, I ended up swabbing my inner thigh, and I keep dropping the cap to the darn thing. I was so frustrated. And the sweat started to pour again. I just swabbed whatever I could feel. Hopefully they got what they needed. There is a reason normal doctors ( in the states at least ) do the Strep B culture for you. I can't see a darn thing! I don't even remember what my belly button looks like for pete's sake.

The appointment was over, and I let Kyle know that we have to head over to Radiology to set up the U/S appointment and the lab to pick up my pee bucket. He looks at me with this sneaky look and says, " I say we bail on the ultrasound. We know Liam is big, and do you really want to get another ultrasound? It is bad to get them more than once a month, and you're already getting them weekly..." I look at him and ponder his plan. The midwife did say that if they can't get me in for 3-4 weeks, not to worry about it since that will pretty much be my due date. So, I said screw it. I know in my heart Liam is fine, and his growth is OBVIOUSLY not delayed, so we bounced. hahah Kyle is a bad influence, but I love him. :) In my opinion, the midwife didn't really have a reason to get the scan, and the specialist told me to cancel my last scan appointment because it was unnecessary. So, I never set up the appointment... oops?

Well, I have written enough, and my back and ribs are killing me from sitting here. Off to drink more water and sit on my butt so I can give my cankles a break. :)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment