
I had another appointment today with my midwife and things are going really well! I have gained a pound since last week. My blood pressure and temp were all normal.
Today was my first time seeing my midwife since she cleared me on the protein in the urine crud. Usually I am nervous to see her because she is so cautious. I am always afraid she is going to make me do more testing on something. She did bring up my fluid levels, and I told her I drink well over a gallon of water a day. Just in case, she wanted to do a quickie ultrasound on me to make sure that the fluid levels were still ok.
I think the last Japanese lady who measured my fluids didn't really know what she was doing. Basically what they do is they run an ultrasound, and they measure little dark pockets that are full of fluid that surround the baby. They measure 4 of the largest pockets they can find, then they add them up ( they measure them in cm.) A healthy pregnancy should have between 5-15cm of fluid. Well each time I had an NST, they were only getting measurements of 6-7. Anything below a 5 is a fast ticket to induction. Today I had them measured and it was 12cm. So nothing to worry about at all. During the ultrasound, she did say several times, " Wow, that's a lot of baby in there!" So he is staying true to form. He is a big boy.
My midwife then had me undress so she could check my cervix. I told her I had been having a lot of contractions, and I was just curious to see if things progressed. The second she checked me, her face lit up. She said, " Oh wow! Wow, ya you are definitely more dilated. " She told me I am sitting at about a 3 right now, and I am 90% effaced! My cervix thinned out an additional 40% in a week, and I dilated another cm in a week. She was VERY impressed. She told me I have a " nice, squishy perfect cervix." She said she was surprised how I have progressed, and I am only 38 weeks pregnant. Of course she can't tell me if this will make labor easier, or even if I'm close to going into labor, because really, it plays no role. I could dilate super fast now, and when labor kicks in, things could go slow (I doubt it though, but we shall see.)
They way she was wording things made Kyle and I believe it could be soon though. She kept asking, " Now you know what the signs of labor are right? You know when to come into the hospital right?" We could just be over analyzing things, but we can't help but be excited!
I am feeling more comfortable with the thought of labor as each day passes, but then there are times where it still terrifies me. Usually right before bed is when I get panicky. I know the average woman goes into labor at night, so each night before I fall asleep, my brain starts going a mile a minute. I start running checklists through my head, making sure we have everything ready for Liam. This then causes me to sleep like crap. I get up 4-5 times a night to pee, and each time I get back in bed, I lie there for another 30 minutes or so, running over the same darn checklists.
Things have started to get a little more chaotic here, which probably isn't helping me rest and relax. We just found out yesterday that we have to move out of this house by the end of October. They are renovating all the houses on base, and our unit is next. We have no idea if they will be moving us into a hotel for a few months, or one of the brand new houses. All we know at this point is that we have to move. Also, I just found out that Kyle has to work nights the week of Liam's due date, so IF Liam arrives early, I will be home alone with a newborn 24/7. It just sounds super overwhelming. I mean I know I can do it, but since this is our first baby, it sounds crazy to me. And, the week after Liam's due date, Kyle has to do a 5 week training course to become a Staff Sergeant so his hours will be a little messed up, and it could potentially push his paternity leave back. I should have figured this could all happen, this is the military and things happen on short notice. I can handle it, but my plate seems to be filling up fast all at once!
Liam has been doing fantastic. He is becoming less active, probably because he has ran out of space. Kyle is now able to hear Liam's heartbeat through my belly as of last week. It is super cool! I have read about this happening, but figured there was no way. When I don't feel Liam move for awhile, I naturally get worried so I just have Kyle listen for his heart beat and I am then able to rest easy haha. It is like my own personal doppler.
Nothing new to report really on symptoms. Liam's butt is still causing me a ton of discomfort. My skin around that area now feels like prickles, and it has become super sensitive to touch. Even raindrops hitting it are uncomfortable. The bruise isn't visible on the outside of my belly, but I can't wait until his butt or knees, whatever it is, relieves some pressure.
I have been more emotional again this week. I get irritated real quick, and I am quick to cry. I was watching some youtube video of a lady giving birth, and the sound of her baby crying sent me into major tears. I saw another woman in the housing office yesterday with twins that couldn't have been older than a few weeks, and I got all choked up. I can't wait to see our little guy and smell him and love on him! My ankles are still swollen as well. It is mostly my right ankle. My right shin is getting all red and the skin is getting all tight looking. I asked my midwife about it today, and she said it is probably because Liam is laying more on that side, so he is cutting off the circulation mostly to that leg, which is why that one is more swollen. It is gross looking, I think my ankle jiggles when I walk. The humidity here makes it that much worse. Every time we walk, I get sausage fingers. Once I sit down and drink a ton of water it goes away though.
Other than that, things are going great and I feel great. Just a few minor aches and pains here and there, but nothing I can't handle. Even with all the negative side effects, I still love being pregnant. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment